Monday, April 18, 2011

TV, Music, & Movies

Okay, so Fox's musical show Glee has made a major conquest: me. I'm officially addicted to it, and it's not just because former NLT-member Kevin McHale is on it (as Artie, who is bound to a wheel-chair; poor Kevin). My step-mom and step-sister have tried to get me involved, but it was kind of hard to, mostly because none of the guys were hot at the time. But somehow, I discovered Brittany, possibly (nvm, she is) the dumbest character on the show. She makes my mind-hamsters ache, but she's so great I had to see what other stupid things she says. Of course, during the course of watching this show, I feel in love and began getting emotionally involved. I'm downloading the songs, I'm quoting the characters, and I'm eagerly waiting for the new episodes, especially Born This Way, Lada Gaga's amazing anthem (her best song yet, I believe). Glee's even invading my dreams! So far, I've had dreams starring Puck, Quinn, Kurt, and Blaine. Now I see the big deal. Congratulations, Glee, you won me over. Go celebrate.
Speaking of Lady Gaga, I'm just going to rave about "Born This Way" for a minute. I have immense respect for her, mostly because of her being a major advocate for LGBT rights (I agree with most people; her outfits are ridiculous). I loved her songs, even though her lyricism confuses me; they, surprisingly, make sense once you know what the song's about. Lady Gaga's "Born This Way", however, is not only catchy, it MAKES SENSE. In my opinion, it's become the LGBT anthem, proclaiming that we are born the way we are, created by God, and therefore, are exactly the way he wants us. It's definitely a pick-me-up after all the hating and bashing some extreme people like to do to those that are different. The great thing about this song is that it applies to EVERYONE, not just a certain community, race, etc. We are who we are, we are loved, and we are on the right track.
Now, on to movies. I went to my dad's and a few of us wound up watching Scream. I never had a high opinion of the series after seeing a clip (possibly from Scary Movie) of Ghostface chasing a girl, then giving up the race in favor of running a race and winning. I figured it was going to be dumb, but it was actually pretty good. The protagonist's boyfriend had Fiona-syndrome through most of the movie, but it cleared up near the end. I'm surprised how many high-profile actors sign on for these movies and only have a few minutes of screentime before dying. It's like watching a high school reunion...one where everyone dies. I haven't seen the rest of them, but I kind of want to give Scre4m some of my money now.

No comments: