Thursday, August 5, 2010

My opinion on LKH's "Divine Misdemeanors"

I need to rant about a few things, the first being LKH's newest faerie slut- I mean, Meredith Gentry series, Divine Misdemeanors. Once I found out it existed, I screamed in delight. LHK has nothing on my literary homegirl Sara Douglass, but she managed to convince me that a long-term relationship with Unseelie princess Meredith Gentry would be a good thing. I thought the series was over with Swallowing Darkness, but alas, the series spawned a new book with the promise of more to come (yippie!). Most of the reviews I saw claimed the book was crap, but one positive one contradicted those statements and I have to agree.
Compared to the majority of the population in the literary world, it was nothing to brag about when it comes to plot, writing style, and other technical things (but then again, the entire series is that way), but it wasn't outright awful. The person with the positive review theorized that the other reviewers must've been pissed that Doyle and Frost (Merry's favored lovers) played less of a role than usual, and I think they had a point. The beautiful duo weren't the shining stars, but that meant we go to see more of the other characters, yay!! Rhys and Galen were more active than they were the past two books (Rhys more than Galen, another yay) and we saw more of Sholto, Barinthus, and some of Merry's L.A. pals. Maeve is also supposed to be making a triumphant return next book, so Merry has a pregnant buddy. Yay, two women with mood swings and cravings. The guards are going to have a ball with them. I miss the queen. She was insane, but I liked her.
Now, plot bunnies. A secret about Meredith's beloved late father is hinted at, a whole new race of fey is wanting some of Merry's attention, and a fairy godmother actually exists. Oh boy. Who knows what's going to happen. I didn't think the story would be fun without Meredith screwing for her life and a throne, but L.A.'s got magical powers of it's own, apparently, especially when it comes to dangerous murder plots on a faerie princess. Ew, I hate that spelling of fairy, I'm a 90's kid.

No comments: