Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wrestlemania XXVIII


So tonight was the night of Wrestlemania 28, the night my household has been waiting for since John Cena announced it the night after last year's. I didn't think we would get to watch it this year, but Brandon was the hero and saved up the money to pay for it!

This year, I made a cake, and I was dedicated. I went to the store, bought the yellow cake, chocolate icing, and red Easy Squeeze piping icing, and went home and piped for the first time. By the way, Easy Squeeze icing? Not so easy to squeeze, believe it or not. I think for my first time piping, I did a pretty good job. Next year, I'm definitely going to put more detail into my Wrestlemania party food :).

So, we tried to buy Wrestlemania at the top of the hour, but due to some difficulties and bs on TWC's part, we missed the first hour and the first three matches. At 7 though, we successfully purchased WM28, right at the beginning of Triple H and Undertaker's match. After a grueling match with Undertaker pretty much dominating the Game, Shawn Michaels, and that bogus ref Charles Robinson, he stood tall and the streak lived on with 20-0. Steel steps, steel chairs, and a sledgehammer flew and blood was spilled, which apparently is the recipe for a fantastic and epic match. I wasn't terribly excited when it was announced that these two would have a rematch, but tonight wiped my doubts away. That was the most emotionally draining match of the night, and we all felt it. It was something that will live on in legend.
The next match was the team matches of Team John Lauranitis, the Executive Vice President of Talen Relations at WWE, and Team Teddy Long, the Smackdown General Manager. The deal was, the two men would assemble team of wrestlers, and whoever won got to be in charge of both Smackdown and Raw. Team Johnny consisted of captain and Jennifer Hudson fiance' David Otunga, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Mark Henry, the Miz, and Drew McIntyre; Team Teddy had captain and United States Champion Santino Marella, Kofi Kingston, R-Truth, Booker T, the Great Khali, and Zack Ryder. Both teams were accompanied by females and Vicki Guerrero, but they aren't worth mentioning. The match was boring at the beginning until the teams, of course, began fighting outside the ring. Santino, the legal man, hit the Miz with the Cobra, then tagged in Zack Ryder, who impressively took on both the Miz and Dolph Ziggler. Just as Zack was about to finish the Miz off, Eve jumped in the ring and distracted him, allowing the Miz to hit him with the Skull-Crushing Finale and win the match for John Lauranitis. Boo. The Eve has the nerve to kick Zack where it hurts and sway out of the ring. Hoeski.
Next match was CM Punk vs Chris Jericho for the WWE Championship, and I missed half of it because I had to get Brandon from church. When we came back, we watched CM beat Chris and retain his championship.
And last, but not least, was the headlining match. The match everyone had been waiting for. The Rock vs. John Cena. This was a match that tore me in two. The Rock was my favorite wrestler of all time (except for Randy Orton) and my first childhood crush, but I have so much respect for John Cena and what he's all about. I've been firmly Team Bring It and Cenation since they began their feud, and this match tore me to pieces. For a while, it seemed like John had the edge. Rocky was holding up, but John was owning this match. Then, out of nowhere, the Rock scored a victory and won. Our entire living room was shocked. It didn't make any sense to me for The Rock to win, but win he did, and I guess we'll have to tune into Raw tomorrow to see how it turns out.
There pointless musical numbers and a pointless Diva's match, but this Wrestlemania was pretty good! Much, much better than last years, but so far, I've yet to see a Wrestlemania top 26 for me. Very excited to see how tomorrow's show plays out!

No comments: